Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Heathkit - We're back - sort of

Heathkit say they're getting back into producing kits, although somehow I doubt these will be build-it-yourself shortwave radio and transmitter kits that I recall from they heyday of international sound broadcasting. They weren't that well known for state-of-the-art design though in the 1970's. I like their slogan though - REAL WORLD, HANDS-ON LEARNING FOR TOMORROW'S JOBS. I remember a company in California bought the rights to technical manuals a few years back, but I can't imagine they made much money from that. 


It's true that there seems to be little in the way of educational kits to interest the budding hardware engineer of tomorrow. Tip of the hat to Spanish telecoms engineer Jose V Gavila, who seems to have more where that photo came from.


No comments:

ShareThis